These teaching units are designed to be used after the visit to the school involved in the programme.
The main objectives of this campaign are to convey primary school students the importance of fish and shellfish in their diet, in relation to their nutritional contributions, and to encourage their consumption. In addition, they will learn more about different species and the role of consumers in preserving the resources of the sea and in enhancing the professions related to the sea.
- Encourage the consumption of fish among primary school students.
- Familiarize students with the world of fishing, transport and preparation of fish and seafood in order to increase their knowledge of and interest in this product.
- To convey to the school sectors the importance of fish and shellfish in their diet in relation to their nutritional contributions.
- Provide students with a knowledge of different fish species and their nutritional characteristics.
- Emphasize the role of consumers as a collective, including the youngest children, in preserving the resources of the sea.
- Learn to know and handle seafood from a gastronomic point of view: simple dishes, recipes, etc.
- Competence in knowledge and interaction with the physical world. Contents related to the world of fishing, transport and preparation of seafood. Competence in linguistic communication. Reading comprehension and written expression.
- Information processing and digital competence. Through on-line downloads and assessment surveys.
- Social and civic skills. The consumption of fish as a source of health, and as an economic and social resource.
- Cultural and artistic skills. Students will develop their creativity and artistic skills in the representation of the Dolphins.
- Independence and personal initiative. New insights into the value of fish and seafood consumption will allow them to make decisions regarding such consumption.
Curricular contents. Although the contents of the teaching unit can be approached from a point of view of the different areas of knowledge, listed below are those related to the area of knowledge of the natural, social and cultural environment as it is the area of greatest involvement for students and most directly related to them.
- Identification and description of required daily foods. Analysis of uses and customs in daily nutrition.
- Assessing aspects that influence a healthy life, varied and balanced nutrition. Identification of animals and plants in their environment.
- Discovery and observation of the events and Galician cultural heritage as an example of diversity and wealth.
- Recognition of different professions while avoiding sexist stereotypes.